Cleaning a carpet is itself a very tough job. And when it will have vomit stains in it then it is even more difficult. It is the scariest nightmare for any carpet owner if someone vomits on their favorite carpet. Because sometimes it ruins the material completely. And also you will have to go through a long process to clean the carpet properly after that. This is the reason why people avoid using carpets in the rooms where generally house parties take place. But accidents are inevitable and you may end up in a situation where you have to clean vomit stains from your carpet.
So if you want to do this thing properly then you must know about the specific products and the ways to use them. Then only you will be able to remove the vomit stains from your carpet. Here we have discussed different processes of cleaning vomit from carpet and also the necessary precautions you have to take before doing that. It will help you a lot in your everyday cleaning process as well because you will get to know a lot of things about everyday items which we didn’t know previously.
4 Ways To Remove Vomit From Carpet
Remove the Chunks
The first and foremost thing you have to do while cleaning your carpet from vomit is to remove all the chunks. It is one of the most difficult parts for any carpet owner to remove the half-digested chunks from the carpet. At first, you need a scraper that does not have any gap or hole. Because in that case the vomit will slip away from it and your work will get doubled up. You have to use gloves to protect your hands and then you should pick up the pieces with the scraper and fill it in a plastic bag. You can also use cardboard if you don’t have a scraper at home.
Sometimes you can also use a towel to do the same thing but you have to make sure that you don’t rub the area. Because in that case it will get stuck to the carpet even more. If you see that the vomit is mostly liquid then you can cover it up with some sand as well. In this process when the sand will get mixed up with the vomited material you can simply brush it away and clean the carpet easily.
Let the Moisture Get Dried
The second step is to leave the moisture for some time so that it can get dried. If you are cleaning vomit from your carpet then you have to know that it is the toughest job to clean as the moisture content is high. But it is not a very good idea to let it get dried in the air. Because in that case, you may get a bad smell for a long time. So for that, you can use some baking soda and sprinkle it on the vomit. You have to wait for 15 minutes and the clumps will get dried. If the vomit is completely liquid then you can also leave the baking soda overnight. In this way, you will be able to remove the moisture completely before cleaning it.
Start Removing the Stain
In this step, you have to start cleaning it to remove the stain. Most of the time vomit stains are quite strong and that is why you need to think wisely before starting to clean it. You can use the dry cleaning fluids available in the market. These are quite effective to remove this type of stain from the carpet. If you don’t get a chance to buy a dry cleaning chemical then you can simply use some items like vinegar or soda to remove the stain. If you use soda or vinegar you just have to keep it on the stain for around 15 to 20 minutes and then wash it away with some water. This is the most difficult part of cleaning a carpet if someone vomits on it.
Try To Remove the Smell
Now the last part is even more difficult than any other part of the process. Because smell the thing which does not go away easily. So you have to work hard to do that. There are different materials which you can use to do it. The first product is baking soda. You have to put a lot of amount of baking soda to neutralize the smell in it. Other than that you can also use some vinegar from your home pantry. But in that case, it can leave some acidic smell on your carpet which is unbearable sometimes. Lastly, you can simply use some deodorizer and spray it all over your carpet to avoid the foul smell of vomit.
How To Remove Dried Vomit Stain From Carpet
Removing the dried stain is simpler than the previous process. Because in this case, you won’t have to deal with the moisture. There is some specific process to do this.
- You can scrape out the big chunks very easily because it does not have any moisture content. So you can use some simple spatula to do this job.
- You have to soak the spot for some time with some soap and water. It will help to dissolve the vomit in the water and you can simply clean it afterwards.
- You can use some enzyme cleaner available in the market. These are quite cheap and you can use them in multiple types of cleaning at home. Currently, almost all the products are biodegradable and do not have any harmful chemicals.
- The last process is using a vacuum cleaner and cleaning the small particles. But it is only applicable if the stain is loose and if it is coming out of the carpet easily. Then only you can simply move the vacuum cleaner and your carpet will be brand new.
Precautions You Have To Take Before Starting To Clean Vomit From Your Carpet
Taking some precautions is very important if you are going to start cleaning your carpet and removing vomit from it. Because generally, it has a lot of infections which can attack you and make you seriously ill.
- You have to distract your nose from getting the foul smell. Because this smell can affect your health and you can also go through some breathing problem later on. So the best way to avoid it is you should use some sturdy mask to avoid the smell.
- You should not wait for a long time to clean vomit. Because generally it gets dried very easily and the more time you will give it to dry the more effort you have to give while cleaning. It is always better to start cleaning your carpet if you see some vomit stain in it.
- You should dispose of the dirt immediately after you scrape it off. Because it has a lot of infections and germs. If you keep it without disposing of it, then it can harm your health to a great extent. And sometimes it is irreversible as well.
- You should use some air freshener to keep the air clean. Whenever someone will vomit on your carpet the whole area will get filled with bad smell and germs. If you want to avoid that then you should go for a good quality air freshener to keep the air clean.
- It should be mandatory thing for you to wear gloves while doing the cleaning job. In this way, you can save your hands from harmful germs and also clean chemicals. So it should be the first step if you are going to clean your carpet.
- If you don’t have cleaners then you can simply use a brush. Sometimes it is also recommended to prefer a brush over the vacuum cleaner. Because the small chunks of vomit can get stuck to the machine and it can get damaged easily. So if you get a chance and also if you can do that then you should use a brush.
- You should not forget to disinfect your carpet after cleaning it. Currently, sanitization is the most important part of any cleaning operation. So you should also use sanitisers for disinfecting liquids to clean the carpet and make it completely safe to use.
- Some chemicals can harm your carpet fabric. And if you doubt that regarding any chemical then you should do a patch test before using it. In this test, you just have to apply a small amount of chemical on the carpet and see if any unusual thing is happening.
These are the basic steps you have to go through if you want to clean vomit from your carpet. Most of the time carpets are luxurious product and we are fond of our designer carpets. And it breaks our heart when someone vomits on it. But if you go through some specific process and follow the steps carefully then you can remove the vomit quite easily from your favourite carpet.